WHOLEFOOD CUISINE NEWSLETTER
Sign up to receive a weekly peek inside our kitchen.
Winter Morning Apple Pie Rice
Larry and I love to eat this on cold winter mornings.
To make the morning preparation go faster, you can make a big pot of as many apples as you want in advance and just warm up the apples and rice in the morning.
This is like hot cereal but the brown rice is completely whole grain.
- 1 large apple
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- sprinkle cinnamon (to taste)
- Peel the apple and set aside peelings to make Apple Peel Chips.
- Cut the apple into bite-sized chunks.
- Place the apple chunks, raisins, and water in a saucepan and cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes. Apples should be soft but not breaking apart. And if they do break apart that’s OK too. Make it the way you like it. You should cook the apples until they are soft and the waters evaporated.
- Heat the brown rice separately and then put the cooked apples on top OR put the brown rice in the same pot with the apples to heat the rice. I do both depending on the day. And if you also have enough glass storage containers you could assemble everything to this point in storage containers and heat them up in the oven while you are getting ready in the morning.
- Place the hot rice and apples in a bowl, sprinkle with cinnamon and add butter (if you wish).
TO MAKE THE RICE MORE LIKE HOT CEREAL CONSISTENCY: While warming up the brown rice, add about 1/4 cup water to the cooked rice and let it cook for about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. This will turn grains of rice into hot cereal like oatmeal.