WHOLEFOOD CUISINE NEWSLETTER
Sign up to receive a weekly peek inside our kitchen.
Larry’s Italian Comfort Food
This is a RICE DIET MEAL C
Larry made up this recipe a couple of years ago when we first started the Rice Diet and it’s still one of our favorite dinners.
It’s really, really, really, really good. And really satisfies for italian comfort food.
Whenever we want Italian food or even a pizza, this is what we eat.
Note that we split in 3 starch servings into 2 rice servings and 1 serving of peas. Since both are on the starch list, together they add up to 3 starch.
Larry’s Italian Comfort Food Bowl
makes 2 servings
- [2 starch] 2 cups brown rice
- [1 starch] [1 vegetable] 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup pasta sauce (we like roasted garlic, but use whatever you like)
- unlimited onions (yellow, white, or red)
- unlimited mushrooms (any type)
- unlimited greens (we usually use spinach or swiss chard or beet greens)
- [1 fat] Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- red pepper flakes (like you put on pizza)
- Clean and chop the onions, mushrooms, and greens
- In a large skillet, sauce the onions in a little water until they are soft.
- Add the mushrooms and a little more water and continue to sauté.
- Add the pasta sauce and stir.
- Add the rice and peas. Continue to stir. Add a little water if needed to have enough sauce to coat everything. Add more sauce if needed, depending on the amount of vegetables.
- Top with a sprinkle of your cheese (all the fat in this dish is in the cheese, so use the amount that is appropriate amount of fat for you)
- If you are like me and put red pepper flakes on your pizza, put red pepper flakes on this and your taste buds will think you are eating pizza.
You could also sprinkle parsley on top or add anything you want to the rice. The point is, here’s a whole grain Italian dish that is really whole grain and really tastes Italian.
To make this a complete RICE DIET MEAL C, add one cup of fruit for dessert. We usually save our dinner fruits to eat later in the evening.