WHOLEFOOD CUISINE NEWSLETTER
Sign up to receive a weekly peek inside our kitchen.
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Muffins
These wholefood, gluten-free almond flour muffins are moist, delicious, and easy to make. Almond flour instead of wheat flour gives them extra protein.
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 agave or another natural sweetener of your choice
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup currants
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place all the ingredients EXCEPT almond flour, walnuts, and currents in a large bowl. Use an electric hand mixer to combine (or a stand mixer).
- Mix in the almond flour until well combined.
- Add the walnuts and currents (break them up as you add them) and mix by hand with a silicone spatula.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
How to Make These Great Muffin Papers
You can use unbleached muffin cups for these muffins, but I like these parchment papers so much better! They take a little longer to make, but give such a dramatic presentation, especially if you are taking these to a party, serving them to guests, or giving them as a gift. It’s like a little gift in itself that you unwrap to eat. You can also tie ribbons around them for even more festiveness!
You’ll need unbleached parchment paper, which you can buy at any natural food store. Cut 5-inch squares, and then place one square in each opening in your muffin pan. Push the paoer down inside with your fingers to fit and crease any folds. They won’t sit flat when empty, but when you fill them they will be perfect.
I use a 2-Tablespoon scoop when I make muffins because it gives an even portion. This results in all the muffins baking evenly.
You can use this tool to portion ice cream, cookie dough, meat balls and many other foods.
They are usually available in three different sizes wherever kitchen gadgets are sold.