WHOLEFOOD CUISINE NEWSLETTER
Sign up to receive a weekly peek inside our kitchen.
Amazing Pumpkin Pancakes
These pancakes are amazing because you only need TWO ingredients to make a real pancake! Just eggs and pureed pumpkin, plus pumpkin pie spices of your choice. But just the eggs and pumpkin themselves make a real pancake that looks like a pancake, tastes like a pancake, and has the texture of a pancake. Totally gluten-free. And you can make them in a minute. And this little recipe gives you a whole tall stack of pancakes!
If you add freshly grated nutmeg you don’t even need any sweetener, because the nutmeg is sweet. I just made these for breakfast and the aroma of nutmeg is wafting into my office still.
A friend of mine made a batch and loved them.
Now you can use canned pumpkin if you must, but remember the can linings contain BPA, which is an endocrine disruptor. It’s so easy to roast your own pumpkin, please give it a try. Roasted pureed pumpkin keeps well in the refrigerator, and then you have it on hand for pancakes any morning, or to use in other pumpkin recipes.
OK. Here’s the recipe!
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- ground cinnamon
- freshly grated nutmeg
- butter or coconut oil for the pan
- Beat the eggs with a whisk in a medium-sized bowl until the yolks are well mixed with the whites.
- Add the pumpkin puree and blend it in thoroughly.
- Add spices to taste.
- Heat your pan on medium high heat. Add a small amount of butter or coconut oil. Actually, best results come from using a “ceramic” nonstick pan such as Cusisinart Green Gourmet. The pancakes don’t stick at all.
- Use about 2 tablespoons of batter per pancake. The pancakes will “set up” like a regular pancake, but you won’t get the bubbles.
- When they set up after a few minutes, it’s time to flip them over using a spatula.
- Cook for another minute or two and transfer pancakes to a plate.
You can top with butter, maple syrup, fruit, or anything you would usually put on pancakes. But they are yummy just plain, too.